Friday, November 8, 2013

The age of expression

I believe we are in what could be called "the age of expression."  Sure, there are all these ways of getting information and learning so we could still be in the "age of information," but I think we are surpassing that. No longer is the Internet just to find out the answers for your questions, but it is the place for you to, as YouTube says, "broadcast yourself." Blogs and articles on random issues, as well as quite serious and large issues, pop up all over. 
From singleness to dating to marriage to religion to workouts to makeup to equality to healthcare to politics...whatever is on our mind, we are free to express it. The famous Facebook asks, "what's on your mind?" But it is no longer a Facebook status. It's now links to the viral articles, viral videos, viral pictures or memes or riddles. It's not just "I'm enjoying time with my loved ones," but "...and this is my philosophy on loved ones."
Is it that we are desperate for attention? Desperate to be heard? Is it because, in spite of the various ways of communication, we worry that no one is listening? 
The truth is, I love to write. I love to write about what I love and what I think. And I'm not the only one. Gone are the days where you need an English or journalism degree to publish something for the world to see. Gone is even the need for grammar, perhaps. But one thing that will always remain is our human need to be understood. To be heard. To be listened to. To know that we matter. That our thoughts matter. 
Dear friend, don't you know that we cannot be that for one another? Not a single relative, friend, spouse, child, pupil....not one single person can complete you, being there every time you need something or want to share your thoughts. But there is Someone who is. 

You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely. (Psalm 139:1-4 NIV)

God knows our thoughts before we even say it. Even when we feel He is far away, and when we are turned away from Him, even then He hears our thoughts. He is the One who completes, hears, and understands us at all times. 

Although I would love to have an article or book floating around in circles of influence, I know that my thoughts are known by the One who created me. The One who commands that I love Him with all my heart, soul and mind. So no matter how far I go, no matter how many people I reach, I know that my mind is to be used to love Him. And that's what I plan to use it for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment