Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sin

What an ugly, foul, disgusting thing sin is! We must kill it. Daily, hourly, minutely, secondly....."flee temptation" "resist the devil and he will flee from you" "dead to sin in Christ's death and raised to walk with Him in new life." There are so many sayings, from the Bible, from the pulpit and from the heart, but how can we apply all of this?
Less than a week ago i asked some close friends, "When does a Christian stop sinning? or do we ever?" This question was met with emphatic "nope"s "never"s, and "we are always striving, never perfect"s. Scripture was used to back up their responses, but it just didn't sit well with me. Yeah, im not saying im ever gonna be completely perfect, but i can, excuse me-THROUGH JESUS i can--conquer this particular sin that still has me in bondage, right!? I MUST. He commands us "be Holy, for I am Holy." yet even PAUL struggled with sin, he was given a "thorn in [his] side to keep [him] humble" and is famous for "I do what i do not want to do and do not do that what i want to do." If PAUL couldn't conquer sin then we can't either right?
But what about sanctification. Is that just to say that because we call on Jesus as our Savior that we are set apart and even when we do sin that we have Jesus to make us sanctified even when we knowingly sin?! And yet, this is also answered to the disciples in that NO--do NOT go on sinning to just receive more grace.  So it all comes down to this-we sin because we are disobedient and not fully submitting to God. I want to be completely surrendered to God. I do not want to keep on sinning. I do not want this "thorn in my side" to keep me humble! I feel that i can be humbled without it! With it i feel i am the worst hypocrite of all! (And this i have said)
--side note, (i love where Paul "talks as a fool" in "boasting" with how he is a better Jew etc just to show that the only boasting should be in Christ! He alone is worthy :))
This Christianity thing, it's more than a "religion" to me. It's more than "a way of life." It's the only life. If i cannot be all in, im not in it at all. For as much of a balanced girl i try to be, this is the one thing in my life i MUST be radical about. This is the ONE thing that i WILL be radical about and will not back down. Christ is the center of all i do. I must make that the honest truth and live to make His name high. This means killing my sin. This means i can no longer do the "things of the flesh," nor even think on them. Man! I must live under a rock! maybe. Maybe i just need to remember i am Not Of This World

No comments:

Post a Comment